Pregnancy’s always been among the most esoteric of the old wives’ tales. While some have a grain (or more) of truth, others are plain hilarious. We’ve rounded up some of our favourites here, from the “collective wisdom” of friends, family and online pregnancy forums. So put your feet up, relax and have a little giggle. And if you’ve come across some other funny ones, please share!
- Don’t drink coffee or take anything with dark soya sauce if you don’t want your baby to have a dusky complexion.
- Drink lots of soya bean milk or eat soya bean curd if you want your baby to have a fair complexion. (My mum swears by this)
- Wide hips makes birthing easier. (This is probably the most widespread, but it’s actually the width of the pelvis that makes birthing easier.. and that is not related to how broad you are at the hips. Sorry, ladies.)
- Drink lots of water or your baby will come out dirty.
- If you have severe morning sickness, you’re more likely to have a girl; if you have a big appetite, you’re likely to be carrying a boy.
- If you stay mad at that person while pregnant, your baby would resemble that person. (How nice…. now, how do you stay mad at George Clooney for nine months if you’re carrying a boy?)
- You will gain one shoe size for each baby.
- You’re more likely to go into labor if the weather is stormy or the moon is full.
- You will lose one tooth for each baby. (Yuck… thank goodness there’s absolutely no truth in this!)
- If you put your hands above your head, you’ll strangle your baby.
- If you’re carrying the baby low, it’s a boy. If you’re carrying the baby high, it’s a girl.
- Alternative: if your baby bump is rounded and sticks out in front of you, it’s a boy. If it’s spread around your middle, it’s a girl.
- If you crave sweet stuff during your first trimester, it’s a girl. Savoury? A boy.
- Even the hubs is not spared… If your husband puts on weight during your pregnancy, then you will be having a girl. If he doesn’t put on a pound, it’s a boy.
And the myths continue after birth.
- If a baby cries a lot or is often sick, it means he/she doesn’t like his/her name and you should change it.
- If a baby cries a lot, he/she will be smarter.